The Lighthouse of Houston was officially founded in 1939, this non-profit for the blind in Houston can be traced back to 1925. The first organized effort to serve Houston's visually impaired population was started by the Dandelions, the Women's Auxiliary of the Lions Club. The Dandelions established a sewing club for people with blindness and worked to establish sales outlets for the articles they made. Over the years, programs and services were expanded. Click to read the full history.